Wednesday, August 13, 2014

beautiful soul



There are some people who really just leave an imprint on your soul. You catch yourself thinking about something they said or did, years after the fact, with no real prompting to do so.

This person, for me, is Hailey-Marie Frantzen.

Hailey and I met online in high school. I was a freshman, she was a senior. Because I have always tended to be friends with those older than I, we became bosom buddies from the start. We met through a home school program called Generation Joshua, as I did so many of my friends back then!

I'm certain that we annoyed the heck out of people with our friendship. We were giggly, silly, and all-around obnoxious in expressing our friendship via the Internet. We knew each other's Xanga passwords. I mean, it doesn't get much closer than that in 2005!

Hailey and I only had the privilege of spending time together in person twice. We came from opposite sides of the country and just as I was entering the final years of high school, she was knee-deep in her college studies. This did not lend itself to as much daily conversation as we'd have liked, but we still sent silly messages and made the occasional late night dish-doing phone call.

Hailey passed away in 2011, just a week or so before I found out that I was expecting Molly. She would have loved that news. Hailey had a heart for children and we often laughed over how our someday-daughters would be smart and sassy little girls.

I left Hailey a voicemail just a few days prior to her passing. I don't know if she got it, because Hailey was a very private person about her illness and I didn't know how badly she was doing. She didn't want people to pity her. She wanted desperately to live life to the very fullest, and so she did. She did things that other people with her health problems would not have been able to do, but she was not willing to sit at home and let experiences pass her by. What a zeal for life and love she had!

Sometimes I catch myself in forgetting that she is no longer just a phone call or Skype away. I find myself wishing that I could access and re-read our old chat conversations, to glean a little extra encouragement or catch a joke I might have missed.

But this is not how it works. We can't live in the past. We have to heal from the pain of losing someone we love and rejoice in the knowledge that she whole and well and in Heaven! She is dancing and singing just as she did on Earth, but without the pain that accompanied it. She is probably challenging the decisions of some of our forefathers and trying out cheesy puns on the Apostles.

I leave you with one of my absolute favorite stories of Hailey.

We were visiting our friend Matt in Michigan, and had gone with him to one of his friend's houses for a bonfire. As we were leaving, a party-goer standing out by the cars offered Hailey a cigarette. Hailey politely declined, and as we walked away, her eyes got huge and she grabbed my arm and whispered (loudly- Hailey was NOT a quiet whisperer), "KENZY. I DID IT! I SAID NO TO DRUGS! MY MOM WOULD BE SO PROUD!!!"

Hailey did many things that made her parents proud, and I know she left a legacy for many people even though her time on this earth was short by our standards.

I have written and re-written this post for almost a year now. I struggle because I don't want to make people sad but I also have so much to say about who Hailey was. She was a beautiful writer and I know this doesn't do her justice in the way I would like for it to.

5 comments:

  1. your story at the end made me laugh outloud! She sounds like a great gal and friend and I look forward to meeting her in Heaven someday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kenzy, how timely for your post. I loved, loved it so much. As you were telling the story of the cigarette, I literally envisioned her grabbing your arm, with a big smile on her face-saying those words out loud. Oh how good it felt to think of her and laugh. I don't want to be greedy, but anytime you remember other stories, please share...I know she loved you so much and she would have been Auntie Hailey for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have printed her entire Xanga account with all of her incredible writings...if you ever want any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing your stories. What a wonderful friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mackenzee...Just caught your post on Bonnie's profile. My husband and I were neighbors of the Frantzens for many years. We first meet Hailey when she was six years old. Even then we were struck by her beauty, joyful spirit and engaging smile! She made us laugh because of her love of pigs...she raised them to show for 4H...naming them after candy bars! She was delicate and girly, but loved those pigs!!!! She was remarkable in her ability to put anyone she met at ease and make them feel so very important to her no matter the age! You are right about her love of children and she had a very special place in her heart for the aged, too! We were so happy to hear that she was able to attend school in California...it was a special wish of hers and I know she loved every minute! Even though we are forty years her senior, she has left such an angelic impression upon my husband's and my heart and so many others! Her parents are the most remarkably true Saints I have ever met and I know how grateful they are for everyone who loved and continues to love their Hailey Marie!!!! Blessings to you and your precious family! Kathy Powell, Fredericksburg, Texas

    ReplyDelete