Monday, May 30, 2016

The Arrows in Our Quiver- Jude



I kept meaning to write this out earlier, but babies don't keep, and with everything else going on in our lives right now, I soak up every second of baby-time with our littlest.

I want to remember the details. I already don't, and Patrick has to correct me half the time! I'll do my best, and he'll probably set me straight in the comments. ;-)

Jude's pregnancy was much like Molly's. I had a lot of nausea and sickness, and some other issues related to Lyme disease as well. My blood pressure liked to dip REALLY low (80/40, anyone?) and even when the majority of the nausea subsided in my 3rd trimester, the BP issues really kept me down most of the time.

A few weeks prior to Jude's birth, they decided to do some extra ultrasounds and measurements because I was measuring so far ahead (read: HUGE). At my 38 week appointment, they guessed over 9 pounds already. Molly was over 9 pounds, so I wasn't all that shocked.

The doctors suggested an induction with cervidil (less invasive than Pitocin) just three days before my December 17th due date. Being induced is really weird, you guys. Like, you drive to the hospital all calmly, with your hair and makeup done and not frantically timing contractions or willing lights to turn green. It was weird. You answer questions coherently and eat meals and it's just bizarre coming from the perspective of someone who was in active labor the first time around.

So, I ate Panera and watched Footloose and Despicable Me on TV and did a lot of waiting. After several hours, the cramping got more intense and turned into contractions and the pain of the cervix checks was starting to be more than I could handle.

They gave me some medicine (not sure what...Patrick? Any ideas?) to let me sleep for a little bit, and then decided to go ahead and do the epidural. Y'all know...I must REALLY not like the pain to be willing to get a giant needle in my spine. Ick.

God does funny things that don't seem funny at the time, though, and despite many tries, the epidural was weak (at best) and then didn't work at all. We tried for quite some time and finally my midwife, Ginny, came in and SO sweetly told me that we were just going to have to go for a natural med-free labor. I told her no, but for some reason, that didn't change a thing!

She brought in an oil diffuser that changed color in a pattern, and ladies who haven't had babies...or are having more babies...RESEARCH natural labor methods. PLEASE. I wish I had! I was so set on an epidural that it didn't cross my mind to even practice anything else and learning the methods on the spot was difficult!

It helped! I was able to focus and really make those contractions count for something. She stayed with me and talked me through every contraction. It was rough, I'm not going to lie. I think people who say you forget are big fat liars and/or got way more meds than I've ever been given. ;-)

At this point, it was just Patrick and I and the nurse and midwife. My mom called to see how things were going and ask if we needed her. I said yes and she hopped in the car to come up to Easton..it was about 11pm at that point and I just wanted my Mommy.

Soon after my mom called, I started feeling more pressure (woohoo!) and they told me that it wouldn't be long before I was ready to push. I didn't think my mom was going to make it there in time, but she literally came in the room right before!

****SIDE NOTE: I pushed for FOUR HOURS with Molly, so when they said it was time to push, I cried, because I thought...great...four more hours of THIS...****

With the very first push, both Patrick and Ginny said, "We can see his head!" I thought they were lying and using it as a tactic to get me to keep going. Guys, I'm a big wimp! Really, I am. Also, I apparently don't trust people. They weren't lying. Three more pushes, and he was out! It was SO MUCH EASIER THAN MOLLY!

Like, not to be TMI or anything, but there was stitching and stuff with Molly and nothing with Jude. And he was 9 pounds, 8.4 ounces. Definitely not a little baby! PHEW! He was so sweet, instantly looking around at us and snuggling. I looked up at Patrick and while I could have said something lovey or precious...I'm not gonna lie, I said, "I never have to do that ever again." Praise Jesus. I don't mean that lightly. Pregnancy was so hard on my body, and so was labor and delivery. Recovery was much easier this time, but still no walk in the park.

We have such a peace about it, and Jude has been a sweet completion to our little family. He is a mama's boy through and through. He doesn't sleep much at night but he is so happy and chill that most of the time, it doesn't matter, we just nurse and snuggle and do it all over again in another hour and forty-five minutes. ;-)

My health is far and above what it was two years ago, but I am a firm believer in being a good steward of what God has given you. I am so enjoying being able to be a HEALTHY mama to my two crazy children. At the risk of being a giant mushball...what a BLESSING these two are to me! I can't wait to see what kind of little people they turn out to be and already love seeing their personalities mesh and grow with one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment